Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:42:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Since the new Hypoglycemia policy/recommendations was released the hospital that i work at took it and ran. 
One of the steps that this hospital is taking to prevent hypoglycemia is that infants who are born to diabetics mothers go to the NICU within 30 minutes of birth and are there for at least 2 feedings. 
So can you imagine what type of food these infants are getting for the frist 2 feedings? formula

I have tried to do soemthing at all angles. First I talked about the need and importance of the first feeding done with in the 30 minutes the infant is allowed to be with the mother but - "there are tasks that the staff has to complete in that time" and 'mothers don't want a dirty baby on them'. I even went to the neonatalogist and asked for his help with pushing the first breastfeeding in that 30 minute window and I got the same comments from him. 

Then I decided to go to the beginning and asked if we could discuss hand expressing when pregnant with these mothers so that they could have 2 feedings of breastmilk. But no matter what I said and no matter what research i provided 'parents wont do this'and 'it will cause labor to start' and blah, blah, blah.  

Are any other hospitals doing this with the new guidelines and how are they supporting exclusive breastmilk?
Please help - any ideas or suggestions. 
Some weeks I feel like i go backwards when it comes to breastfeeding. 
Jessica IBCLC
NC, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2