Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:56:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I am so glad that Heather found this discussion helpful. 
I am an RN IBCLC and have found my RN helpful and hurtful in my 16 years helping mothers breastfeed as a hospital based LC.
I was an RN first, then a mother with a "failed breastfeeding experience", then an IBCLC then a LLL leader just for the past 3 years.
The point of my post is regarding LLL leadership as a stepping stone to the IBCLC test. Or to paid employement in the lactation world.
I feel strongly that this should not be encouraged. It does not sound like this is what Heather is doing. It sounds as though she believes that LLL leadership is where she will "fit" in her desire to help and support other breastfeeding mothers. 
BUT...I cannot tell you how many people contact me and the other leaders ( and I do not publizice the fact that I am an rn ibclc) about how to become a leader so they can accumulate hours for the IBCLC exam. I have even had a mother go so far as to complain about our group (on a social media network) because we would not help her pursue her leadership (she did not want to take the steps  to become a leader seriously, she is agressive and inapropriate with other mothers) and ibclc requirements. I have spent countless hours discusssing leadership requirements with inquiring moms to have them say "I'll just take the 5 day clc course because this is too time consuming."
To be a LLL leader you must have a LLL heart and a desire to serve in a volunteer position. I'm not saying you can't do both sucessfully. I do both and I would venture to say my fellow leaders say I do it well and the mothers I have contact with say I do it well. I am just saying to be a leader to "work your way into" being an IBCLC is not likely a good path.

Carla Parry RN (91) IBCLC (96) and LLLLeader 2010
Mother of 3 1991, 1992, and 2007:)

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:59:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Is there a place for the non-professional in Lactation advising?

Dear All,
Thanks to everyone for the useful information you've all posted in response to my inquiry. I'm inspired! Based on this advice, my next step will be to pursue becoming a Leader with LLL. While working on that, I'll take advantage of the further training that I now see is available to me. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2