Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:08:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Thanks again, Magda, for the information and the URL about how breastfeeding data are incorporated into public health monitoring in what *I* think is an exemplary way.  I don't know how other countries do it and I am not even entirely sure how Norway did it.   I've heard that at the moment there are no national mechanisms in place here for collecting data on breastfeeding at all, and last time we did it there was no good distinction being made in the data collection between exclusive and partial breastfeeding.  To my mind this is a serious lack (understatement of the year).  I think a lot of countries could do well to follow the English example, for both monitoring and improving breastfeeding rates.  
Please if you just skimmed Magda's post, go back and READ it thoroughly.  We have often bemoaned the lack of breastfeeding data that don't come from manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes; here is a system that is run by the public health authorities, based on decisions made at the highest level of health administration, and with breastfeeding integrated into the public health package, rather than as a tiny little bit of maternity care or even just well-child care.  It takes breastfeeding out of the domain of any clinical profession and puts it right up there with clean water and environmentally sound buildings as a building block for the nation's health.  Don't know if it is this that has given rise to a lot of delightfully creative materials promoting breastfeeding, but I just had to mention that such materials are out there and they are generally fabulous.
The fact that some of the highest-placed people in this system are from voluntary breastfeeding support organizations, rather than from the professions whose history of alliances with industry detract from their credibility in the area of infant and child nutrition, is nothing short of revolutionary.    
I know Norway scores higher than the UK in the annual world championships of where to live, but some days I think I am ready to emigrate and try to find myself an infant feeding coordinator job.  Don't know if I can make it to retirement spending my time fixing one mess at a time, rewarding as that can be.  Would rather be involved in stopping the leak than in bailing water like mad.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2