Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 10:30:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Permission to post.

Mom is very anxious about breastfeeding after a failed attempt with child 1 (long long story) and I am trying to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Here's he background for baby 2.  

Uneventful pregnancy, precipitous accidental home labor baby is full term.  Everyone is healthy and fine.  Baby latched immediately.  No separation and mom is doing a ton of skin to skin.  

Saw baby last night.  Sufficient diapers and from birth on Thursday to Friday morning baby lost 3 ounces.  Baby seems to have a tight wide frenulum, mom has slightly inverted nipples.  Mom prefers nursing in the dancer position.  Baby had been nursing for an hour not very actively and not seeming satiated (all goes with what I saw in the mouth).  With support mom started doing compressions and is now nursing for 5 min and goes to sleep.  She then sleeps for 2-3 hours.  Baby is still fussing at breast according to mom.  I am a little concerned about the 2-3 hour stretches, but can monitor closely.

I showed mom how to hand express and finger, spoon and cup feed baby if baby is too frustrated to latch.  Mom is concerned baby is preferring finger over breast (probably related to the trauma of not feeling able to breastfeed first child).  I don't think this is a major concern, but has anyone had this happen? 

My sense is that this is a combination of issues related to mom's heightened anxiety and baby's atypical oral architecture, but is there anything I could be missing? 

Thanks in advance.

Lea Rivera Todaro
Brooklyn, NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2