Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:12:13 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
Hi Molly,

This is a very difficult situation for this mum and I am sure very sad for her that she will be unable to breastfeed.  As she has breastfed in the past I imagine she could have a very strong milk surge when her milk 'comes in'.  Having been in the position where my baby died  1 1/2 hours  after birth (we had warning), I was only 34 weeks pregnant,  c.section under general anaesthetic and having breastfed 3 children long term,  My milk came in big time. Despite the prematurity and c section.  It was very painful, worse than the post op pain.  Personally I would recommend she consider breastfeeding at least until after her milk comes in in order to reduce engorgement, while taking measures to reduce her milk supply.  Obviously baby would need to be monitored and supplemented. Emotionally she may not want to do this.  She could pump however - in the circumstances I highly recommend it.  Once she becomes very engorged it can be impossible to pump.   You may need to talk to her about what to do  if she changes her mind about breastfeeding for a few days. 

Bromocriptine is no longer recommended for milk suppression due to the side affects.  Milk supply can rebound anyway when bromocriptine is stopped.

Sage tea,  Peppermint oil, parsley can all be used to reduce milk supply.

Sudafed is believed to dry up milk.

Ice or frozen vegetables in a cloth and cold cabbage leaves can help reduce pain and swelling.

There is no easy solution to this.  If she does not breastfeed she will likely end up engorged and in pain.  However I do not believe there is any research on this.  I am preparing a leaflet on lactation suppression to be used with mums of babies who die.  If you would like to see the draft please email me.  I am not ready to put it to public scrutiny just yet.  Although I will when I have necessary references etc.

The following link is to a very helpful article on lactation suppression.  It also explains some of the problems with bromocriptine.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FSZ/is_5_29/ai_n18616581/?tag=content;col1

It took me at least 8 days after the birth to feel comfortable.  I also became slightly engorged again 2 weeks after the birth.

Look this was difficult to write so please go easy on me if you think some of my suggestions are wrong in the above.

It is great this mum has your support.  

Best wishes,

Sarah McCann.

BScHons, IBCLC, LLL Leader

www.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2