Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:46:54 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I am just reading all the emails that have been posted over the weekend as the list fired up.  Sometimes it's good to get perspective by reading everything at once this way, instead of post by post as they are sent.  Kinda like knowing what happens in a movie while you're watching it (because I read
the posts in reverse order, from last one sent forward).   I have never been one for tussles, glad this one was called off quickly and hope the dust settles and those who posted can reread the posts with a cooler head bearing in mind what some have pointed out, which is that no one is intending to
judge anyone else or condemn them for past decisions.  Indeed, I recently posted to the HBLC's list along these lines about the different types of personalities on our list which are just what you would find in any discussion.  One big difference is that we are guests in the listmothers' "virtual"
living room, as they sometimes have to remind us.  We don't personally know most of the people on this list, though we can feel like we do when they post often.  I have gotten into a few private discussions, generated by posts to the list where we originally thought we disagreed about something,
only to find, with patience and explaining over several emails, that we really didn't disagree at all!

We are all good people on this list, I am convinced, with all of our experiences and life situations coloring the glass we read these posts through.  What has struck me most during the time I've been a member of this list is the number of us who had less than optimal experiences with our own
breastfeeding and/or childbirth, which has propelled us into doing what we do.  How many of us have said, "If I could help just one mother not to have to go through what I did..."  I know that's why I'm here.  We are all on the same side, after all, as some have eloquently pointed out.

It is usually not the mother we should fault for some of the choices she has made, but the bottle-feeding culture, created by formula companies, which has seriously reduced the kinds of choices she has.  In the end, we all want what's best for our children.

Marsha, who is recovering after a week of feeling "dismissed" as Barbara puts it, and is taking up the banner again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2