Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:23:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Yesterday I replied to the recent power-pumping thread and described with affection a pumping log that I've been using since around 2005.  I've since received some pleasant requests to share this pumping log and will happily do so, since it was previously shared with staff by Vergie Hughes during my years in northern Virginia.  There is no copyright on this pumping log, and it was copied many times by staff for use with our many patients there. 

In yesterday's post I stated:  "Pumping logs have been around for a long time, but this particular pumping log quickly became beloved by our group.  This log has the volume goal listed for each day in the first two weeks in the far right column, starting with drops (with an expected range of 0 drops to multiple drops for Day 1) and going up to 25 to 35 ounces daily by Day 14 for a singleton, and I've since created other logs for mothers of multiples and logs with varying starting points of a low supply. "

Clearly my wires were crossed during that earlier post.  This pumping log currently lists 25 to 26 ounces a day by Day 14, rather than 25 to 35 ounces daily as I incorrectly stated above, although many mothers do achieve that higher volume of 35 ounces by Day 14 with adequate stimulation and adequate glandular tissue.  However, much of our teaching literature refers to a full milk supply of 25 to 35 ounces a day, and being achieved by one month postpartum, when feedings are going well for the exclusively breastfed infant of average birth weight.  Another common reference for the one-month-old infant is 3 to 4 ounces in an average feed.  

For a number of years, one of the leading medical-grade breastpump manufacturers published beautiful handouts written by Nancy Mohrbacher, and one of my absolute favorites was "How to Build a Full Milk Supply with a Breastpump", citing a full supply as 25 to 35 ounces daily.  How I miss that handout for use with NICU moms and other mothers who are exclusively pumping for whatever period of time!  That company's website still refers to 25 to 35 ounces daily as a goal.  Yesterday I paid tribute to Vergie Hughes, and today I will give my gratitude to Nancy Mohrbacher for all her work for mothers and babies and families - - and her work on behalf of our profession over the years.  

Since yesterday's post, I've happily received requests for this beloved pumping log.  Will also place this pumping log on the More Than Reflexes website for those who wish to access it there - - will be heading out of town for a week beginning on Thursday, so will place it on the website as soon as I can.  

With kind regards,

Debra Swank, RN BSN IBCLC
Ocala, Florida USA
More Than Reflexes Education
http://www.MoreThanReflexes.org  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2