Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:35:44 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Cindy, I wonder if this mom would like to read about my experience with my daughter, Julia, which is on the LLLI website, with the adoptive nursing stories.  It sounds to me like she is highly motivated, probably needs this break from stress, but may want to try again.  Like adoptive moms, she can provide tremendous benefits, for both her child and herself, regardless of whether she ever gets a large milk supply.   I would suggest, after things have settled down, that she try forgoing the pumping and concentrating on feeding and nurturing her baby at her breast, instead.  I would suggest the Lact-Aid but, since she has already purchased an SNS, there is another way she can make a supplementer, with the tubes from it, that she might find more convenient than using the whole unit.  The tubing can be used in several different ways.  One is with a small baby bottle.  If the tubes are threaded through the existing hole of a latex nipple, using either a rug needle or crochet hook to pull one or both through, rather than the hole being enlarged, it results in unit that can easily be handled without the tube becoming dislodged.  This can also be done with a disposable baby bottle liner, either the small size, or a large one with quite a bit of the top folded down, with the top secured with a rubber band.  The bottom of the tubing should, of course, be positioned so that it barely reaches the bottom of the container, so that the rest can extend as far out of the unit as possible.  An easy way to wear either type of make-shift unit is to put it in a plastic sandwich bag, with the top gathered round the top of the unit.  The excess plastic can then be tucked into to mom's bra, or a ribbon or cord of some kind can be tied to it, to be worn around her neck.

I would also inform this mom that the amount she can pump may not be an accurate way to tell what she is capable of producing, with a baby at her breast.  We see many adoptive moms who can pump no more than drops and maybe a few streams, or even nothing at all, but know from their babies' stools and the fact that they are taking much less from a supplementer than they could be expected to get by on, that their babies are getting a significant amount of milk straight from the breasts.  I believe that moms who are in a situation that gives them more doubt about whether
their breasts can produce milk are much more likely to have a totally different response to a pump than to a baby, than others are.      

I think it is especially sad when a motivated mom has such a hard time that she stops trying, when you consider the fact that the benefits of breastfeeding can extend for the first several years of life.  I hope this mom will keep trying!

Darillyn

P.S.
She might also like to go to www.fourfriends.com/abrw , to find others who have established breastfeeding, under a wide variety of less than simple circumstances!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2