Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:57:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
In a message dated 10/22/2003 9:32:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> We should see it as tragic.  When most of our mothers give birth stating their intention to breastfeed, we should see the bottle as a sign that we offered a wheelchair when we should have tried harder to get mom and baby to stand on their own.
>
> I'm mixing metaphors, but I'm still on my first cup of
> coffee.

Love your metaphors -- mixed or not. Beyond a sign that we should have tried harder, there are babies who need a wheelchair (or stroller) while they are learning and it is ditched once the skill is achieved. Some newborns need some sort of wheelchair while they are "in therapy" to breastfeed effectively -- or actually until the problem leading to wheelchair use is resolved. May be central nervous system maturation (or L&D meds no longer interfering with CNS), mechanic "fixing" for such as tight frenulum, etc., or systemic such as infection or cardiac issue affecting ability to breastfeed effectively, which they should be able to do.

Then the "wheelchair" can be therapeutic in the short run vs. a failure, unless there is a failure to use it in a way that supports the transition/progression to effective breastfeeding -- which we know happen all too often.

Could take the metaphor farther to cover situations in which mothers use strollers/wheelchairs for infants who can walk perfectly well but they want it to keep toddler from running off or to make it easier to get something done while out. But I'll save that one for now!

KKG

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2