Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:46:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Malka,
Lots of babies with eczema gain poorly because they and their mothers have gut damage. They are not able to absorb nutrients and their bodies are, in effect, on fire. The two largest populations of families I work with have babies with TT/LT (usually many weeks/months out) and/or babies with gut damage. Laundry detergent is not going to solve eczema which is a gut-skin axis problem and while dairy is often a contributor, it's elimination is rarely enough on its own to help these kids. My recommendation for any baby with eczema is to go off grains, dairy and all processed foods. Eating chicken from her local market is going to mean she continues to eat GMO grains, for example. Gluten, soy and corn are huge skin triggers and they are the feed for factory-farmed animals. Elimination diets can quell the inflammatory response but they cannot heal the gut. If the mother continues to have a leaky gut, then endotoxins will continue to find their way into her milk and irritate her baby (and her). She has to heal the gut, close the tight junctures and let her milk be her baby's medicine. Topically, the best tx I have found to date are the products from Seaweed Bath Company (I have no connection, but have purchased these for my goddaughter whose eczema rages with any accidental exposure to corn, gluten, dairy or soy--esp corn and they bring amazing relief). 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:15:44 -0500
Subject: eczema and low weight gain?

I hope you can help me!
PTP: Four month old baby boy has had eczema almost from the start. It has gotten 
worse and worse. Mom went off dairy and has changed laundry detergent 3 times. 
Using Dreft now and doing an extra rinse cycle. Mom went back on dairy because 
she didn't see that it  made a difference, but then baby became even more 
unhappy--excessive crying, up during the night. Now mom plans to go on a strict 
elimination diet--dairy, beef, fish, wheat, corn and nuts. To complicate 
matters, baby has gained only a few ounces in the past month. Could eczema be 
related to low weight gain? Pediatrician recommends strict elimination diet or 
to stop breastfeeding and feed EleCare formula. I would appreciate any comments. 
Thanks!
Malka Weldler

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2