Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2013 21:42:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello Judy,

I have no answer to your question about the availability of drops, but found the following on the Wikipedia description (I looked since I had no idea what you were writing about...).  I wonder if it is an option for the mother you write about if she can't find drops anywhere?

"Although L. reuteri occurs naturally in humans, it is not found in all individuals. Therefore, dietary supplementation is needed to introduce and maintain high levels of it in some people. Oral intake of L. reuteri has been shown to effectively colonize the intestine of healthy people; colonization begins rapidly within days of ingestion, although the levels in the body drop within several months after intake is stopped.[20] Furthermore, L. reuteri is found in breast milk,[21] and oral intake on the mother's part likewise increases the amount of L. reuteri present in her milk, and the likelihood that it will be transferred to the child's body.[22]"

All the best,
Cassie Kent
LLLC, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2