Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2012 09:53:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
In my state there are some WIC PCs who have advanced to get their IBCLC. But the basic reqmt to hold that position is a degree or certification in Nutrition. I dont have that. My IBCLC is not enough to qualify to become a WIC Peer Counselor.
Phyllis
-- 
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Michelle Kinne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I primarily work as a lactation consultant for a busy inner-city hospital however a few years ago I was given an opportunity to help build a WIC PC program in the 
2 WIC clinics my organization sponsors. This has been a every *interesting* experience for me.

I'm perplexed at why WIC does not include the funding of a full time IBCLC to perform lactation evaluation and assessments, for every WIC agency.

What I've witnessed in a lot of the agencies in my area is they occasionally do have an IBCLC on staff, however they often are multi-tasking as a certifier or RD as well. 

I understand the concept of productivity and they may not apply to *every* WIC agency depending on their caseload but for my area, boy would an experienced IBCLC 
available in the clinic 5 days a week be a lifesaver to breastfeeding. We have IBCLCs come to our clinic for 4 hours 1 day each week....that's not sufficient, but there is no
funding to support anything more. Why is that?

With the objective of increasing breastfeeding initiation, duration, and exclusivity, it seems to me that having a full time IBCLC to perform clinical evaluations and assessments, develop feeding plans etc. for this population would be vital.

And this would be in *addition* to a peer counselor program. Boy would you see a difference in outcomes if they would just pull that together.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2