Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:16:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Given the proven effectiveness of WIC peers teaching mothers about infant feeding, it came to me that a generational counterpart might be helpful for the grandmothers, aunts and other significant others. And it works in beautifully with the second recommendation of the Surgeon-General.

Is anyone currently doing something of this nature? I would be willing to receive suggestions from anyone wanting to give me some. 

Next week I am going to try out a "granny-peer class" to go along with the surgeon-general's recommendation #2 that family and significant others be given special attention and information as to how they can support the breastfeeding mother. I will have some visual aids and printed instructon materials there, but am depending on my ability to "go with the flow" with no exact format planned in advance for instruction the first time I try it. I am not certain whether anyone or more than a few will attend, as the class was only announced to the nutritionists and peers to "advertise" through the expectant mothers themselves. My plan is to make it a regular event once every two months and see how it goes.

But to begin with I will ask them leading questions to find out where they are in their personal or hear-say understanding of breastfeeding in this day and age, and let that shape the one-hour class to be offered at our WIC location from 5-6 p.m. on one of the few evenings per month that we are open past 4:30.

Judging from what I observed at the mother's infant feeding classes given by the WIC Peers that I "sampled" last month I thought it best to be as flexible as possible. But I certainly will explain the MER to them in everyday terms, that's for sure.

I welcome any suggestions.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC    Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2