Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 18:28:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I was thinking about that case even before posting. What would I done differently if I were the lactation consultant in that hospital that saw this mother the first day? Yes to skin to skin, yes to not limiting and no to scheduled feedings. In addition, I would encouraged hand expression and re feeding colostrum to the baby.  Taking good history as well. She had no changes during pregnancy, never developed breasts during puberty. She had very small and wide spaced breasts, probably 10-12 cm between them. We did manual expression when I saw her and got few milliliters. The baby's bilirubin that day was high enough to start her on bili blanket. If that baby would be a full term vigorous baby, do you think she would develop a better milk supply?  We ( there are 3 IBCLC in our office) saw mother and baby for the next 4 days, and there was no change in her breasts. She added pumping and manual expression. Baby was born around 2400g. Would you wait to start the supplement longer? Is there research about mothers with severe hypoplasia/IGT developing adequate milk supply?  Thank you!

Maya Bolman, IBCLC
Cleveland USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2