Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 00:09:48 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
I am usually a lurker, but may be able to help you a bit.  I have been working on an article on Sjogren's syndrome and breastfeeding in conjunction with my mother who has Sjogren's, breastfed all 5 of her children, and works with a Sjogren's support organization.

Briefly,

There is some concern that mother's with Sjogren's may have difficulty with their milk supply, but I have not found any research to support that at this time.  I believe the fear comes from the sufferer's problems with dryness due to damage to the mucous membranes.

As you have already discovered, many of the meds are compatible with breastfeeding.

Fatigue can be a huge issue so it is important for mother to have a support system and to learn how breastfeeding can actually help her get more rest.

It is well-known that many autoimmune diseases flare after a pregnancy.  This may also be the case with Sjogren's so the mother should realize that this is a possibility whether or not she breastfeeds.  There is a concern that high prolactin levels may contribute to the flare with rheumatoid arthritis.  If that is the case, then it may also contribute to an exacerbation of the symptoms with Sjogren's.  I like to point out to the mother that even if she continues to breastfeed, her prolactin levels will peak then begin decreasing--they don't stay very, very high throughout breastfeeding.  This is an area where more research would be helpful.  

Sometimes mothers worry that they will be passing on the offending antibodies in their milk.  However, the majority of antibodies in breastmilk are a different type then the problematic ones in autoimmune disease.  Plus, evidence suggests that breastfeeding helps to protect the baby against autoimmune disease.

Lastly, Sjogren's sufferers also frequently have Raynaud's.  Therefore, you might want to discuss this with the mother and keep it in mind if she has nipple pain.

Hope this was helpful.  I collect stories of breastfeeding success or failure and its relationship to Sjogren's, so please let me know how it goes.

Becky Butler,IBCLC
La Plata, MD 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2