Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:38:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Ellen,
    I did not exclusively nurse my triplets--I believe they received about 80% mother's milk, if I had to make an estimate.  My babies were born at 33 weeks and 2 days after 3 weeks of stopping pre term labor.  I had been on Magnesium Sulfate for two 24 hour periods during that time and was very sick while on it.  I was able to put all of my babies to breast on the day they were born and I'm very grateful for the support I received in doing that.  My milk did not really "come in" until day 5.  It was agony trying to decide whether to divide the small amounts of milk I pumped between babies or just give it all to one.  When my milk came in I had enough for everyone, plus lots of extra in the freezer until about 6 weeks.  At that time I would find that by the afternoon, my 3rd baby to feed was not satisfied, so in the third baby would get a bottle of formula.  It was also around 6 or 8 weeks that my husband took over one of the late night feedings and fed everyone formula while I went to bed early, so I could get some sleep before the night time feeding parties would begin.  I fully expected the supply and demand system would allow me to feed my babies exclusively until they started some solids, but that wasn't the reality.  I worked very part-time and when I pumped, I would get 13 - 14 ounces of milk.  My breasts felt so uncomfortable that I opted against galactogogues at that point.  I have only known one triplet mom who exclusively breastfed her triplets and it took her awhile to build her supply.  I've read about another who was able to had no need for formula.  In practice, I rarely see triplet mom's able to exclusively breastfeed.  I would have paid good money for a wet nurse to come in and help me breastfeed during the afternoon and late evening feedings--but no such luck in our world of HIV.  

I'm very glad to have a singleton in addition to the triplets.  Breastfeeding one is a whole different ballgame from breastfeeding three.  Breastfeeding one is a much easier, obviously.  I still feel a swell of pride remembering how I would have all my babies on the bed with me waiting for their turns to breastfeed.  It was an amazing experience.

Anne Nans, RN/IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2