Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 13:53:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
My youngest grandson has a high arched palate and a type 3 frenulum that has not been clipped.  He is a year old now, almost, and has never been able to suck a bottle or a sippy cup - but he can breastfeed!  He IS skinny.  Mom has used the "praying for milk" (her name for it) position to help him latch since he was a baby and "biological nurturing" ala Suzanne Colson since birth.  I have weighed him before and after feedings (concerned about intake because of slow growth), but he takes upwards of 8 oz at a time at the breast!  He was diagnosed with CCAM in utero and has had breathing issues.  It has helped to remind me after 23 years plus in the field that breastfeeding issues and low weight gain are often NOT breastfeeding issues - the problems blamed on poor mothering, poor skills, poor education, and stupidity in general are sometimes just undiagnosed OTHER problems and the breastfeeding is the automatic culprit.  I have been on vacation the past week or so and I am SICK TO DEATH of the patronizing attitude I see towards moms who know their babies, the judgmental tone of books (your baby SHOULD be sleeping through the night by 6 months and if not, it's because you are a bad mother), the lack of cultural and societal support, etc.  And I really believe in self-determination, the power of choice and all conservative values.  A society that doesn't value family and children is one who I believe will fail! To me, breastfeeding is the first glue in a human being's life, and like all glues (my husband is a builder and tells me this), it must be applied correctly, in the amount recommended, and the proper amount of clamping, to ensure a lasting hold.  
I just had to get in a rant since I've been out so long. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Jones
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 8:47 PM
Subject: High arched palate

I've worked with quite a few babes with a narrow high arch- (especially those post NICU and  hx of intubation) My own ( now 8 mo) grandson also has this and just like your mom- my daughter suffered occ. sore nipples but easily relatch him and he learned to self correct after a while.
With your  babe being almost two months  and mom sounding so adept- personally I wouldn't introduce a shield- sounds like that couplet is doing fine in that area since you didn't post weight issues.
 2 mon. now fussy  sounds like normal babe if the weight remains ok... not anything IMHO would consider an issue .................
 Sincerely
Lisa Jones RN IBCLC RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2