Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:19:14 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Slome, in 1956, reported some cases of 10 Zulu mothers who, like their own grandmothers before them, put their grandchildren to the breast to soothe them during the mothers' absence at work.  Though there was no intention of producing milk - just soothing - five of the grandmothers were found to be producing milk, including one who was "past her climacteric".  Nothing was used except stimulation (in this case, the sucking of a willing child, who had recently been at the breast of the mother and know how).  There are a lot of relactation experiences out there on the internet, so I'm told, some of which might be of encouragement to post-menopausal mother.
   In the case you've asked about on Lactnet, I'd imagine the little boy isn't going to be much help in breastfeeding effectively to stimulate the supply, becasue of his age and health status.  So the pump is the next best, if it is hospital grade.  A lot of mothers who ask about relactating have the idea that "frequent" pumping or expressing means about three times a day!  It might be well to ask this mother what she understands by "frequent", and work with her on the idea that, to overcome the lactational gap, she will need to pump about as often as a newborn feeds, if not more often.  That means at night, too.  If her partner wants to help with the stimulation (with his mouth, or gentle massage), this may be helpful.
    Relactation is unpredictable as regards quantities and time lines, even in the same woman with different babies, and I consider it is better to take the focus off amounts and value every drop.  The mother will feel less inhibited then, and that in itself might help.  I make a point of telling mothers that it is common to feel a sense of discouragement, like a big black cloud, just when the first objective signs of improvement are beginning, e.g. firmer breasts, the first few drops of milk or colostrum.  So I now tell mothers not to quit when they feel like this, but to welcome it as a *good* sign.  I suspect (but can't prove it) that this may indicate hormonal changes.  Most women who are relactating need support, and it is good if this mother can talk daily, at first, with a supportive person who believes in what she is doing.  I believe it is good to have more than one external support person, e.g. you, a LLL leader, another colleague.  It is helpful if her support persons at home also have the same information this mother has, so that they can be supportive without offering conflicting advice.  It can be helpful if she can drop the housework and child care and only do the basics, and if there is someone to help with these practicalities, she can put her energy into pumping and resting.
    Relactation can be done without taking pills and potions, but in this modern world people feel a lot more confident if they have a pill to help along the way. That's valid, too.  I'm sure you will receive advice from others on Lactnet about appropriate use and dosages of: motilium, metaclopramide (Reglan), or fenugreek.  The books by Tom Hale, Jack Newman and Ruth Lawrence are good resources on these meds., and the mother can show these to her dr when asking for a script.  I'd suggest the mother avoid any "mother's milk" teas as combined herbals may have ingredients that undermine the effort.
     You might like to look on the internet for information on relactation under "infant feeding in emergencies".  Websites with this include:
www.who.dk/tech/nutemg.htm
www.tcd.ie/ENN/
(Click on "Infant feeding in emergencies".  Then click, at bottom, on "VIII. Relactation, Hand-expressing & Cup Feeding")
 www.tcd.ie/Community_Health/ENN/InfantFeedingReport/index.html
(Link to "Infant Feeding in Emergencies".  Then go to the bottom of the page and click on "VIII. Relactation....")
I've listed more than one, in case one of the websites is temporarily down.
      I hope this helps.
             Virginia
             in Brisbane

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2