Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:24:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (123 lines)
Brenda-

Anne Altschuler did a session with Gail Pryor on the children's book market at the
2000 LLLI Conference in your windy city. Here is her handout for books. Some are
not available except at the library or alternate sources online such as
mamajake.com. I have no financial interest in any of this.

Best,
Natalie Rawlings Kraut
LLL Leader, Plantation, FL
Area Conference Supervisor, LLL-FL
Book Evaluation Committee, LLLI

LOOKING FOR A CHILDREN'S BOOK THAT SHOWS BREASTFEEDING ?
compiled by Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC
Madison, WI -May 2001
Children's books tend to reflect our society's bias toward feeding babies by
bottle. Here are some of the better books currently available that show or tell
about breastfeeding, arranged in order from those appropriate for the youngest
children to those intended for older readers. Look for them in your library or
bookstore. Illustrations are by the author where not otherwise indicated. Remember
that no book is perfect or will fit every need.
· My New Baby by Annie Kubler. Child's Play (International) Ltd., 2000. This 14
page, wordless board book shows a toddler helping his family to care for the new
baby. Two breastfeeding pictures. (ages I - 2)
· We Have a Baby by Cathryn Falwell. Clarion Books, 1993. This is a picture book
for the very young child with a new sibling. Just 32 pages long, with only a few
words on each page, the book shows a loving family with both parents actively
involved in the care of the toddler and the new baby. The mother is shown nursing
the baby, her arm around the toddler who is nestled against her and eating milk and
a cookie. (ages I - 3)
· We Like to Nurse by Chia Martin. Illustrated by Shukyo Lin Rainey. Hohm Press,
1995. Paperbound, Fourteen animal pairs are shown nursing in bright, flat pictures
with simple text, ending with a human mother and baby. A favorite of breastfed
toddlers. (ages I - 3)
· Breastmilk makes my tummy yummy by Cecilia Moen. Midsummer Press, Sweden 1999.
This book is ideal for a nursing toddler. Simple, rhymed verse accompanies the
multicultural illustrations of babies and toddlers nursing in various situations:
when angry or sad, in the bath tub, when mummy is on the phone, in a family bed,
etc. Tandem nursing is also shown: "Two can breastfeed without fuss, there is room
for both of us." (ages 2 - 4)
· Mama, Daddy, Baby and Me by Lisa Gewing. Illustrated by Donna Larimer. Spirit
Press, 1989. The very simple, rhymed text and appealing illustrations show a family
welcoming a new baby, told from the toddler sibling's point of view. One picture of
the mother and baby nursing. (ages 2 - 4)
· The World Is Full of Babies! by Mick Manning and Brita Granstrom. Delacorte
Press, 1996. With humorous, engaging text and bright, attractive illustrations, the
authors explain how human and animal babies grow and develop. An East Asian mother
is shown nursing her baby. (ages 2 - 6)
· A Teeny Tiny Baby by Amy Schwartz. Orchard Books, 1994. This first baby is center
of attention in his family. Although a bottle is pictured on the dust jacket and
Dad is shown feeding a bottle in one illustration, Mother is nursing in eight other
pictures. Baby sleeps between his parents in a family bed and is carried in a sling
by his father. (ages 3 and up)
· Happy Birth Day! by Robie H. Harris. Illustrated by Michael Emberley. Candiewick
Press, 1996. A mother tells her child about her hospital birth and first day of
life. Large, beautiful illustrations capture the essence of a newborn baby
breastfeeding and falling asleep cuddled up with both parents. (ages 3 - 8)
· Only the Cat Saw by Ashley Wolff. Originally published in 1982. Walker and
Company, 1996 (softcover). In this colorful picture book the cat sees all the
details in a typical 24 hour day in the life of a busy farm family. The mother is
shown breastfeeding the baby in a rocking chair at dawn. (ages 3 - 9)
· Hello Baby! By Lizzy Rockwell. Crown Publishers, 1999. A young boy describes his
mother's pregnancy, his sister's hospital birth, homecoming and first day at home.
One nice breastfeeding illustration. (ages 3 - 6)
· That New Baby by Sara Bonnett Stein. Black and white photographs by Dick Frank.
Walker, 1974. Although the clothing and haircuts appear dated, the text is as
timely today as when it was written. A two- parent African-American family helps a
preschool son and schoolage daughter accept the new baby into their lives with love
and understanding. One full-page breastfeeding illustration. (ages 3 - 8)
· Will There Be a Lap for Me? by Dorothy Corey. Illustrated by Nancy Poydar. Albert
Whitman & Company, 1992. Preschooler Kyle, from a middle class African-American
family, misses his special place on his mother's lap as her pregnancy advances and
the new baby arrives. A full page illustration shows Mother nursing the new baby
with Kyle beside her on the sofa. Kyle is sad that the baby needs to cat so often,
but Mother makes room on her lap and special time in her day for him again. (ages 3
- 8)
· One Round Moon and a Star for Me by Ingrid Mennen. Illustrated by Niki Daly.
Orchard Books, 1994. A new baby girl is lovingly welcomed in rural South Africa.
Her older brother is reassured of his place and belonging in the family. Beautiful
color illustrations show Mama nursing the new baby. Close father - son
relationship. (ages 3 - 8)
· The Baby's Catalogue by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. Little, Brown & Company, 1982
(hardcover) and Little, Brown & Company, 1986 (paperback). A catalog designed just
to appeal to babies and their older siblings follows five British families through
a day, from 4 AM until midnight. One of the babies is breastfed. Lots to see in the
delightful pictures. (ages I - 10)
· How You Were Born by Joanna Cole. Photographs by Margaret Miller. Morrow Junior
Books, 1993. A clear and helpful book about conception, fetal development and birth
is illustrated with color photographs of parents and children from many racial
backgrounds. The 1984 edition with same text and black and white photos by Hella
Hammid and others is also still available in paperback and has a lovely
breastfeeding illustration. (ages 3 - I 1)
· Over the Green Hills by Rachel Isadora. Greenwillow, 1992. A young boy in the
Transkei, on the east coast of South Africa, accompanies his mother on a long walk
to visit Grandma Zindzi in another village. Baby sister Noma is carried wrapped
close on her mother's back. They make several nursing stops, and this older baby is
shown breastfeeding in one picture. (ages 4 - 8)
· How Was I Born? by Lennart Nilsson and Lena Katarina Swanberg. Illustrated with
color photographs by Lennart Nilsson. Delacorte Press, 1994. A Swedish preschooler
tells the story of her baby brother's birth. Three lovely photographs show the new
baby nursing just after birth. Additional text explains conception, birth and the
growth and development of babies. 80 pages long. (ages 4 - 8)
· Breasts by Genichiro Yagyu. First published in Japan in 1989. Kane/Miller Book
Publishers, 1999. Alternately silly and tender, this book introduces young children
to the real purpose of women's breasts: feeding babies. (ages 5 - 8)
· See How You Grow: A Lift-the-Flap Body Book by Patricia Pearse. Illustrated by
Edwina Riddell. Barron's, 1988. Five-year-old Sarah and her family welcome a new
baby brother. Fetal development and human growth are explained. The baby
breastfeeds in the hospital with Sarah and her family cuddled close. (ages 4 - 8)
· Being Born by Sheila Kitzinger. Photographs by Lennart Nilsson. Grosset & Dunlap,
1986 (hardcover) and Putnam, 1992 (paperback). Outstanding text and photographs
describe a baby's experience of intrauterine growth and birth, ending with a first
nursing. Now out of print, but available in libraries. (ages 6 and up)

Anne Altshuler mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2