Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:57:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I have to write about my experience today!  I am so excited!

I saw a 10 day old with a large midline cleft palate.  Mom had called with some questions about plugged ducts, and mentioned late in the conversation she was exclusively pumping for a cleft palate baby.  She said he had latched once in the hospital for 5 minutes, but not since.  She was putting him to the breast to attempt latch at each feeding.  I asked if she would like us to try and help...so she came in today.

On further questioning she said she had felt afterpains with his 5 minute nursing in the hospital, which I took to be an encouraging sign.  Then I looked in his mouth.  Not only does he have a wide-open cleft in the midline, but he had a very severe tongue-tie.  The type where it made a sharp "V" when he cried, pasted to the floor of the mouth.  The poor parents had thought he had a "cleft tongue", as it looked so funny, and noone had addressed it with them.

We put him to the breast, and the little guy tried so hard, but could not latch on.  I talked with them a few minutes about the tongue, and they asked to have it clipped.  I was only able to clip about 4 mm until I met with the floor of his mouth, but minutes later he was latched on to the breast in the football hold with a nipple shield, and took 1/2 ounce like a pro!  (We tried latching without it, but he was a bit worn out after the procedure)

This just seems like it could be one of those "perfect" situations...mom has a huge milk supply (Is pumping 3 ounces per side!) and she is very patient and determined.  And the baby REALLY loves it at the breast, and has a wonderful disposition.  So we'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you posted.  
(By the way, I spent the morning reading archives on cleft babies...thank you all for your collective wisdom and willingness to share it!)

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
Medical Director
MilkWorks, a nonprofit breastfeeding center providing consultations, education, support and related supplies in Lincoln, NE

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2