Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:09:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I'm sure there would be incidences of mothers giving diluted formula or some other liquid substitute if they ran out of formula BUT those mothers I would have to wonder about anyway.

I guess what my feelings are is this.  I hear on the top of news stories about breastfeeding always this disclaimer.  Breastfeeding is best HOWEVER MANY WOMEN FIND IT DIFFICULT or MANY WOMEN DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MILK.  I hear my "moms" saying, the pediatrician told me "I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO GIVE FORMULA - DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT THIS".  Huh?

I think in our society there is always a reason for an excuse.  I wanted to exercise but I couldn't find the time.  I wanted to eat better but it's so much easier to go through the drive through.  I don't have time to cook.  I don't have time. I can't. It's hard, etc.

This line of thinking may be fine if we were healthy as a whole. But the reality is that we are not.  So my question is, is WIC providing an early start to "BUT-thinking" with giving vouchers for formula FROM THE BEGINNING?  Afterall, the first thing that comes to MY mind when I think of WIC is formula not breastfeeding support.  I have never worked for WIC and I am not trying at all to condemn them, I just think we can and must do better for our children.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2