Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:15:22 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
All due respect returned, but in my, perhaps not so humble, opinion our profession is in big trouble if we start to believe that the use of technial equipment rather than teaching and learning good at breast techniques and breastfeeding management are the thing that will save breastfeeding and babies.
  Breastfeeding is about a baby at breast, working on and with effective techniques and lactation consultancy is about teaching mothers and babies learn and use effective techniques and the basics of lactation.
  And again, I do recognise and respect the fact tht for some mothers and babies breastfeeding is not an easy thing to learn and there can be major barriers. Pumping to keep up or built up a supply can be needed while mothers are working on these issues. And there are circumstances that a baby wil never be able to or learn to feed at breast. In those cases pumping and alternatively feeding is without question. My point is about the assumption that pumping in all cases will solve the problem. In my opinion pumping and bottlle feeding will in many cases just solve the symptoms, not the problem.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in southen Netherlands

With all due respect, how can we even question that further milk removal by something other than the baby is necessary, via hand, pump or another baby? Isn't that one of the basic tenets of lactation management? If we are still stuck saying that the best pump is the baby, then our profession is in big trouble. Has anyone ever seen a baby take a tenth of an ounce after nursing for 30 minutes? Has anyone seen a persistently-feeding baby still below birth weight at 4 weeks? 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2