Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:06:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Message text written by Lactation Information and Discussion
>Pat's comments make sense, so now I am really confused about this.< (SNS stuff)
Hello Susan and Netters,  This can be confusing and how I explain things at times can also 
be confusing so let me try some more.  While the baby is sucking from the breast, the milk
will flow out from the SNS.  With stimulation and an increase in hormones, mother's milk should
increase.  With the increase, it will decrease SNS milk flow and leave more in SNS bottle. If
you have heard LCs say-using the SNS can help correct a baby's suck, the explaination for
that is: that when the baby correctly sucks, they get the reward of a flow from the SNS.  
If incorrectly sucking, they get minimal to no flow with the SNS. I am not saying it is used
for suck-training, just that the baby needs to use a correct suck or will be encouraged to use
a correct suck when using an SNS. When weaning off they SNS if baby has gotten use to a more 
rapid flow, I would encourage mother to kink off the SNS tubing after baby is sucking and try to
get the baby to suck straight off the breast.  There are lots of tricks to get the baby only
on the breast and nursing well with gaining weight.  That's the importance of doing good 
assessments and then try plan A with plan B in place.  Have a good day all.  
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc.
Naperville, IL- saw 7 deer & a dawn this weekend on my get-away
The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2