Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:50:34 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Susan,
The context I was describing was actually in the dry tropics, north-west Queensland, with clear skies and very little shade, except indoors. My baby and I went out each day to pick up perishable foods, she in hat and fly veil, but with bare arms. There was no lack of sun exposure, quite the opposite. So the negative comments all those years ago had no basis in fact. It was an expression of distrust of breastfeeding, especially exclusive breastfeeding.
Virginia

Susan Burger wrote:

As usual, Virginia makes some very good points.  So, I hope she will not mind if I clarify the origins of what was not a "scare" story but a "true" story that originated with "parents" complaining to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Back in the era when most women breastfed, it was well known that sunlight deficiency in industrialized cities in northern or southern latitudes could cause rickets.  The preventive measure was cod liver's oil.  My father still makes a face when you mention "cod's liver oil" or "beans" or "corn bread" to my father.  My mother also made the face if you mentioned "turnips".  

The origins of the investigation into rickets in the United States was when parents of breastfeeding babies were shocked to discovered that their babies developed rickets, a completely preventable disease.  So, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention launched an investigation into why this was happening and how to prevent it. In New York City alone, there were over 100 LIGHT SKINNED infants who had been hospitalized with rickets.  This means that many more infants suffered from vitamin A deficiency. 

What is wrong with the scare tactics is that this issue is sometimes presented to the public as a breastfeeding problem by those wo are not knowledgeable.  It is actually and environmental problem.  Nevertheless, the risk is real, the consequences are severe and permanent and it deserves our attention.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2