Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:38:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Mary,

I think over time you will see gradual improvement.  I have worked with babies that took months and went on to exclusively breastfeed.  A few examples off of the top of my head are:

Baby with down syndrome -- nursed exclusively with nipple shield after initial weeks

Baby with very serious chromosome anomaly and very very low tone.  All bottles initially except for practice at the breast.  Could not even do much better with a nipple shield.  Mom reported exclusive breastfeeding by 6 months.  She did have elastic breast and average nipple so it would have been easier than with a firm inelastic breast or difficult nipple.  I cannot recall if she used supplementer at breast or not.  I think not.  Just gradually reduced bottles as baby improved at breast.

Baby who would suck at breast but couldn't transfer milk well.  Took baby half hour to feed with vent aire bottle.  Could not master the supplement at breast.  Started refusing breast at 8-12 weeks.  Finally coaxed back to breastfeeding with a nipple shield and lots of standing and swinging/bouncing.  Nursed exclusively without shield by 12 weeks, but took 30-40 minutes to feed always.  Nursed until over age 2.  

Any number of premature babies start out like you describe and progress over time.  Nipple shields may help because they compensate for lower sucking pressures.  Supplementer at the breast may also.

A lot of babies improve by 3 months.  You are doing what needs to be done, probably way more.  My advice is to find a routine that protects your milk supply, feeds the baby, has a little breastfeeding practice, and is doable for the long run.  You can back off on direct breast practice to a low amount when you are worn out and increase at times when you are emotionally and physically able.  

Best wishes,
Natalie Shenk, BS, IBCLC
Findlay Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2