Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:17:36 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Even if nobody said much about the off-label use of meds, which isn´t what I observe...

...isn´t off-label use of medicines that are scientifically proven to have a certain effect and certain side effects (which are to my knowledge used in off-label situations) something completely different from using things that can do harm by seriously hurting physical structures of the body and are not proven to be useful or effective in any way?

I mean, in the first situation we take things/procedures that have known and studied and reproducible effects and side-effects and have very well-known and assessible risks. And then we use those (side-)effects to treat symptoms / problems which should´t have been treated with this medicine but are well in the range of the effects that medicine can cause (e.g. domperidone as galactagogue).

On the other hand, in the second situation procedures that could really do harm and have no proven, reliable and reproducible (positive) effect whatsoever (and sometimes even completely contradict our knowledge of how the body works if it comes to CST) are used to produce unknown and uncertain results…

A case „study“ of three cases isn´t really strong evidence for anything but sure is an interesting report. And might still be simple coincidence because the mothers felt they were doing all they could and might have felt better / more relaxed for the attention they received from their caregivers (or did they make an effort to rule out the placebo-effect?).

> Am 13.09.2016 um 15:29 schrieb Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>:
> 
> of course I had to pull out the Chiro/CST file... Lactation Matters Nov 1, 2013 had a reply re: comments by an MD about chiro. Nice bib.  The DC who wrote said no one in medicine says much about off label use of meds...but they sure complain about or refuse to believe value of  Chiro & CST.  Most of the articles I have are by Chiro and CST practitioners.  One from Peds is a systematic review with negative nuances, a systematic review by DCs says low levels of scientific evidence.  But we SEE results, usually worthwhile.
> 
> Basically there are just  not enough rigorous studies.   How to study, keep track?????  Another thing for the to-do list?
> 
> BTW: Stumbled on a Chiro (Sharon Vallone) study about hypolactation and subluxation 3 cases helped with chiro!  Pat in SNJ
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2