Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:23:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I have been IBCLC for over 20 years, and currently work in a hospital where I have been for 11 of the last 13 years.  As most of you know, a lot of days are not so great in the hospital.  

A woman came in today with whom I had spoken Wednesday when she called rent a breastpump because of painful nipples.  I helped her with the pump, and offered to see her to try and  figure out what was causing the pain.  So she stopped in today after a ped. appointment.  Her mother was with her, and said she had breastfed all 5 of her children.

Mom sat in our nursing chair and said the doctor had said her baby was full, as he started to fuss.  She said she had breastfed the last 24 hours, except for one bottle of formula this morning.  I suggested we just give it a try, and told her to do what she'd been doing.  She lifted the large baby (about a week old now) to her chest and he headed over to the breast, nuzzled and latched!  After the first few sucks, she was totally pain free.  I cooed and exclaimed about how smart this baby was, the grandmother agreeing, and mom said, "I remembered what you told me the first day, and just left him on my chest.  You said he could do it, and he did"!

Not very many days are like this, but honestly, isn't it great when it all works just right?

heading off to celebrate Shabbat

Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC, LLL
Stamford Hospital, and 
Fairfield CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2