Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:34:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Just a thought........When someone is making a statement about something either good or bad, I ask them, what/where are you getting your information from to form your opinion?Ask the pediatrician where HE GOT HIS information!  Put the burden of proof on him.

Kathy Koncelik, CPD, CLC Treasurer, Co-founderLong Island Doula Assoc., Inc.501 (c).3 Not-for-profit631.398.9509

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Sheila Dedrick <[log in to unmask]> Date: 9/12/16  12:54 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Cranio-sacral safety 
If I could please get a response from some of our physicians regarding the safety of cranio-sacral therpy. I attended a class on the benefits of this therapy a couple of years ago. The class stated that they use only a gram of pressure and it was not adjustments of the spine or chiropractics. There was also an aritcle in the Clinical Lactation (2016), 7(3) that recently came out. In this aritcle, it also mentions the connection between tongue-tie and muscle tightness that might be relieved with CST. I have also read countless responses in this forum on the benefits of CST or "body work". At almost every lactation conference/class I have attended, the use of body work is mentioned.  I have personally met with a local CST regarding the benefits and her education and skill with infants. Therefore, I have been recommending this for babies who appear to have  muscle tension affecting their abilities to latch and suck.

I just received an e-mail from one of pediatricans that stated CST is an unsafe practice and that we should not be recommending it to parents for their infants. So, for the physicians on this forum, I would love to know  what your recommendations are on this subject. Also if you have any evidence-based recommendations pro or con along with any AAP recommendations that you are aware of. I would love to have this information (pro or con) before I respond. I respect the concerns of the pediatrician. I of course would never want to recommend something that is unsafe. I also want to support mothers and infants to be able to nurse.

Thanks so much,
Sheila Dedrick, MSN, RN, IBCLC, ICEA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2