Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2013 14:53:51 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
According to Wikipedia:

"The United States dairy herd produced 83.9 billion kg (185 billion lbs) of milk in 2007, up from 52.6 billion kg (116 billion lbs) in 1950.,[2][3] Yet there are more than 9 million cows on U.S. dairy farms—about 13 million fewer than there were in 1950.[3]"

1. I hope we never need that much human milk!  Most mothers will be providing their own, and only a small percentage of infants ever need someone else’s milk.

2. Testing of dairy cow’s milk is also done on HUGE volumes, not so in human milk banks

3. Cows receive a series of antibiotics which we would rather babies were not normally and regularly receiving with their food

4. According to the great Australian ILCA Conference 10 years ago – in many places, cows become ill after being “required” to produce a lot more milk than they were naturally designed to  provide – causing illnesses, seizures and death due to lack of trace minerals and vitamins…

I highly recommend a visit to a dairy and food processing (formula, dry milk) plant and a human milk bank to thoroughly understand the difference and the importance of those fantastic people who run the milk banks! 

…and yes, donations would be happily accepted – of milk AND money to help keep the costs down!  

Remember that whenever blood banks start requesting extra donations (holidays, Summer) your local milk bank could also use some reminders/marketing/education  among the moms you know who are breastfeeding.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

…and no, I do not work for nor would I benefit from any donation elicited due to this request!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2