Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 00:01:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
 THANK YOU so very much Rachel Myr for your post on supporting the exhausted mother in the hospital who wants to supplement so she can sleep.? Your tips for how to talk with her and help her were much appreciated AND very timely for me!!!? Today I saw one too many babies whisked off to the nursery for supplement because the mom was exhausted and in tears.? I want to know how to empower the nurse to empower the mother better.? 

If anyone else has ideas for supporting exhausted mothers' breastfeeding efforts when the baby is doing those colostrum cluster feedings in the hospital I would love to hear them!? We are 6 months into mother-baby care and trying to find ways to help parents keep the baby in their rooms at night more.? We hope to institute a nap/quiet time during the day as one way to help mothers get more rest.? We also encourage someone to stay with the mother to help with holding baby to give her breaks.? Rachel shared her way of helping and then staying with mother for awhile as needed.? Are there ways others of you have found to be helpful?? Are these ways working for the moms and staff at your hospitals?? Any staff teaching ideas?

Thanks,
Natalie Shenk, BS RN IBCLC
Ohio, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2