Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:10:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
I wanted to bring to list members' attention a new volume of The Pediatric Clinics of North American devoted to children's environmental health (Volume 48, No. 5, October 2001), edited by Jerome Paulson, Associate Professor, Depts of Medicine and Pediatrics at George Washington University.

Many of the articles may be of interest to list members, including one I authored on breast milk entitled, " Parents Worried about Breast Milk Contamination:  What is Best for Baby?"  (pp 1113 to 1127). The article examines the risks posed by chemicals in breast milk compared to the risks of formula feeding.  In addition, this article provides guidance to health care professionals about how to evaluate maternal exposures that may influence breast milk quality.  A guide to assessing potential exposures at home and in the workplace is provided.   

The conclusions are that unless that mother has high-level occupational exposures, extreme dietary exposures or unusual residential exposures to hazardous or toxic chemicals, breastfeeding is overwhemingly the preferred choice compared with formula feeding.  Women should be advised about how to reduce exposures that may affect breast milk quality rather than turn to formula-feeding.

If you would like a copy of the paper and do not have access to a medical library to acquire the paper, please write me privately and I will send you a copy. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here is the list of some of the papers in this issue:

Children's Environmental Health
Jerome A. Paulson, MD, guest editor
The Pediatric Clinics of North America
Volume 48, Number 5, October 2001.

A Developmental Approach to Pediatric Environmental Health (B. Gitterman and C. Bearer), p 1071

The Clinical Presentation of Environmental Health Problems and the Role of the Pediatric Provider:  What do I do when I see children who might have an Environmentally Related Illness? (L. Goldman) p. 1085

Parents Worried about Breast Milk Contamination:  What is Best for Baby?
(J. Schreiber), p. 1113

Indoor Air Pollutants in Homes and Schools (R. Etzel) p. 1153 

Pesticides in Children (J. Reigart and J. Roberts) p. 1185

Developmental Neurotoxicity (C. Bearer) p. 1199

Environmental Exposures and Cancer in Children  (M. DeBaun and J. Gurney) p. 1215 

And more.

Sincerely, Judy Schreiber

Judith S. Schreiber, Ph.D.
Senior Public Health Scientist
Office of the Attorney General
Bureau of Environmental Protection
The Capitol
Albany NY 12224
518-474-4819 desk
518-474-9267 sec
518-473-2534 fax
email [log in to unmask]  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2