Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:02:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Dear all:

I briefly read the study because some news organization contacted me wanted a response within the hour.  Since I hadn't checked my computer in five hours, I assumed that the window of commentary was over.  So they were treated to my rant about "self-reported".  The authors do NOT print the actual definitions of any of the criteria used for fussiness.  When it is "self-reported" it can be about expectations.  Parts of the UK are similar to parts of the US in that they follow the dominatrix British nanny books which need a lesson from Mary Poppins (who actually made life fun for the kids and pushed the negligent society mom and the banker dad obsessed with money into reconnecting with their kids).  These Dominatrix nannies push the starve and stuff mode of feeding that contributes to obesity by distrupting the infant's ability to abide by their own hunger and society cues.  If you are living in a society that thinks it is NORMAL for a baby to only eat 4 times a day at three months of age -- (which is less than is obligated in preschools where they MUST feed a midmorning snack in addition to lunch and MUST feed a midafternoon snack for children in extended care) then of course your baby is going to appear grumpy if you push that schedule.  

We all know that the wrist monitor studies prove the opposite.  I think PARENTAL EXPECTATIONS are the problem. And Indeed the authors do seem to point that out.  This is what I finally said when I realized the guy who contacted me actually did want a sound bite from me. God only knows what he will actually print.

Best regards, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2