Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:03:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I think an interesting contribution to this discussion would be to find out what families do when they get to the end of their WIC -provided formula. As someone pointed out earlier, most WIC packages DO NOT provide enough formula for an older infant.  

I have a fairly high WIC population and most families who FF tell me at some point that  "You need to write a letter to WIC to tell me to give them more formula, ect"

I'm here at my desk referencing the 2009 plans (this is the latest one I have in my office) and according to the SC WIC guidelines, 
For an infant 0-3 months, they are given 10 cans (12oz) of Good Start Powder /month which provides 870 oz formula (29oz per day)
4-5 months, 11 cans which provides 960 oz (32 oz per day)
6-11 months, 8 cans which provides 696 oz. (23 oz per day)

These amounts would be if every single oz was consumed from each bottle/can, and in general practice, I think we all know that formula tends to carry a fairly high amount of waste if fed and disposed of properly- including not overfeeding a baby to "finish the bottle" and tossing out any leftover formula at the end of feeding. 

Also these amounts are for the powdered milk-based. It appears that babies getting Soy formula get 1 can less, and those mothers requesting concentrate or ready to feed are given even less formula per month. For example a baby getting the concentrate formula at 6 months gets an average of 20 oz per day of formula provided. I don't think I see many babies in my practice who only take 20 oz per day of formula at 6 months. 

So what do those families do? I think it would be interesting for the WIC offices to keep up with this information. 

Also I find it sort of disturbing to look at the numbers because a parent who chooses to use the concentrate or RTF, which is basically carrying a  lower risk of bacterial contamination is "punished" by getting a significantly smaller amount of formula.  So of course families choose powder, plus "It is so convenient!"  

Mary Martin MD, CLC. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2