Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2018 20:04:16 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hi All,
I would agree that the quantity of milk *is* an issue. So many do not believe that relactation and indices lactation work. Publications like this, showing that it does, are really helpful. 

Similarly, discussion of the milk composition would be helpful. One of my favourite papers on relactation showing how the knowledge of this ancient practice was lost is one from the mid 20th century on non-puerperal lactation in Nigerian grandmother. It was typical of papers of the time which tended to convey something like this, “We’ve found this strange thing. There are these women who have’t given birth for a long time and they are suckling children and there’s this white stuff coming out of their breasts. We’re not sure what it is but perhaps it’s milk.” That particular paper had a photo of a woman squirting “white stuff” out of her breast. I’ve seen similar sorts of comments about this transgender woman breastfeeding. Of course it’s milk and of course it’s fine but it would have been useful for the paper to say so.

Karleen Gribble
Australia

> Subject: Re: Breastfeeding by transgender mother
> 
> I don`t think that it is the quantity of milk that is the issue here – or how much she pumped or how much she supplemented with formula.  She deserves credit for making this enormous effort to feed her baby.
> My concern is more about quality – whether the hormones she received and everything else connected to her ability to breastfeed would in fact harm the baby in any way, now or in the future.   Only a long-term study would give the answers to that.
> Wendy Blumfield
> Israel
> 
> 
>              

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2