Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:28:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Well, I think I have been jinxed by the recent postings about babies turning blue.

I saw a mom last night who has a 3 day old baby boy (birth weight 5 15 and discharge
weight of 5 5) who has NEVER latched-on to the breast and discharged anyway on Sunday.
Mom was given  no instructions on how to feed her baby when he refused to nurse so has
only given three bottles with 2 oz of formula in them since Sunday afternoon until
5:00pm last night.  He had received a total of 5 oz of EBM via bottle additional during
that time.  Baby's tongue is everywhere but where it needs to be during attempts to
latch but does great with the bottle. Baby's weight was 6 06 when I arrived and weighed
him and baby refused breast, loves to suck his lip or curls his tongue up like a tube
and sucks it when put to breast.  Started mom finger feeding lastnight and baby did well
with a little bit of tongue displacement between sucking bouts.  Baby has been getting
at least 2 oz of EBM after attempts to latch-on fail every 2 to 3 hours.  Latched-on and
had a few sucks at breast at 1:30 am and then took 4 oz of EBM while fingerfeeding.  At
4:30 am mom couldn't wake baby; tried everything to wake him.  Baby's lips, hands and
feet started turning blue and after a minute or to he woke up screaming.  Mom took baby
directly to Ped and he said it was due to his low birth weight and immature liver.
Here's the kicker, NO GLUCOSE TESTING was done.  I have no idea what he is basing this
on but he sent baby home and said to keep feeding the baby so he gains weight (shocked
he didn't suggest formula as he is not very supportive of breastfeeding and doesn't
understand finger feeding but won't ask).  She is finger feeding today and is taking a
break from attempts to latch baby on (Mom is very scared and frustrated now).  Will see
her tomorrow and attempt to latch baby again but mom is contemplating formula use now so
who knows.

My question is, should the Ped have confirmed his diag with blood work?  Or is this a
typical thing.  Seems strange to me but I have never had a baby do this before and am
not familiar with what should be done in this case with Ped.  Seems to me that he should
have checked glucose levels first.  Any input or suggestions would be GREATLY
APPRECIATED.
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner
RD 7 Box 382
Bedford, PA  15522
Fax & Voice: 814-623-9357
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2