Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:10:59 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
I chose to wean my third child about this age when pregnant and the way we did it was gradually shortening the feed time at night but maintaining the co-sleeping ie when she woke to nurse I'd start taking her off and rocking her before she was fully asleep.Counting down the sucks (say from ten down) can work as well. Combined with reduced supply during pregnancy it didn't take that long to have her being happy with a cuddle to sleep. Daytime is a bit easier in terms of distractions and preempting requests to nurse by offering drinks/food etc.A La Leche League pamphlet "Little Nursing Persons" is useful as is their book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler".
For my question I am supporting a mother of a ten week old baby who had what we thought was a positional crack which has largely healed. largely being the operative word. Her two main corrections have been encouraging a wide open latch on (major improvement in general comfort and no more pain on one side). This was when I first met her at about six weeks. AT a follow up a couple of weeks later we discussed adjusting how she was centring the nipple on the cracked side  as she was still having discomfort. This correction has meant the nipple looks "good" ie not flattened or blanched, at the end of a feed. She now is down to a minor twinge at latch on and a small crack that still seems to open up slightly. (It looks healed at the start of feeding) She ahs been using 'moist wound" approach for about four weeks. No signs of thrush. There ahs been no significant improvement for about ten days. We are considering the possibility of a small "dimple". I said I'd ask here if anyone had any thoughts. Is this within the range of normal healing time or are we still missing something? TIA Sonja LLLL Lower Hutt NZ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2