Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 06:59:47 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
My name is Cindy Leclerc. I am an LC working in an community based early maternity support program and Breastfeeding Center. I have been lurking and learning much from this list but now I feel I really need HELP!
I saw a mom yesterday on day 5. Her complaint was insufficient milk. She had been discharged from the hospital on day 3 with term baby using the SNS at the breast with occaisional finger feeds.
Her breasts were soft, compression stripe abrasions to her nipples. Color of her milk had changed from golden to white. She had a rough delivery ("urge to push from the onset of labor", vaccuum, demerol, epidural), no history of infertility or other medical problems or drugs, no symptoms of retained placenta, breast changes in pregnancy. Suck assessment revealed a very disorganized suck and I couldn't get anything approaching a normal suck with finger training with SNS. They had given a couple of desperation bottles and baby hadn't sealed or bottled well
I asked them to try some fingertraining with the supplement and left mom a manual pump to try to stimulate her supply.
I plan to call an OT for advice tomorrow though I'm not sure if we have one that is BF friendly. I have requested lactnet searches on 'insufficient milk', 'disorganized suck', and 'hydotherapy'. I know some of you have used bathing as well as ?craniosacral therapy (can't remember terms to do proper searches).
I am seeing her tomorrow. Would you go to electric pumping and meds/herbs now for supply? Any other suggestions???

Cindy Leclerc, BSN IBCLC
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2