Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:11:54 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Alicia,
Great question! I think one of the biggest challenges for the moms who return to work and want to continue breastfeeding is convincing their employers that flexibility is possible and beneficial for all involved.  I'm working with a mom right now who recently returned to work, was using a Medela Lactina in a pumping room at work and a Medela Pump In Style occasionally at home, but her supply dropped drastically.  Her employer allowed her to work from home this week, where she sits on the phone or computer and nursing non-stop to try to recover her milk supply.  So far, so good.  And what a blessing to her to have an employer who is so flexible.  (She was pumping 3-4 times per day at work last week.)

On the other end of the spectrum is the mom who might get regular breaks because they are required by law, but no one wants to help her find a place to pump.  Even if she does manage to find a place to pump, she receives criticism or rude remarks about what she is doing.  Sometimes the employers just outright refuse to make it easy or possible for a mom to pump.

I think one of the best ways to help educate the mom ahead of time is to equip her with communication tools to use with an employer who might be resistant to her desires to pump/breastfeed.  She can explain how the employer benefits from their breastfeeding---fewer sick days due to a healthier baby, etc.  Someone could help the mother brainstorm ways to make it work that she might not have come up with on her own---places to pump, schedules to do so, etc.  My aunt, who is in her 60s, has two deceased children, whom she tried desperately to nurse 30 years ago, but it never worked for long due to their hospitalizations and other circumstances.  She generously encourages young nursing moms to use her private office as a pumping room.  She's there while they pump, but she's the only one there.  Who would have thought a co-worker would do that?  (The others don't have a private office.)

Sometimes it takes a little creativity to find options that might work, both logistically and just in communication with the employers.  When I teach classes, I like to help equip the moms who plan to return to work with creative options, communication tools, and encouragement.

Good luck with the remainder of your education!

Amy Brown, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2