Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:45:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
As part of the discussion of nursing both sides for exact time periods, I've noticed that many moms trying to practice this "exact" timing method become frustrated that the baby is not following those "rules".  They've learned that this is the way a baby is supposed to nurse, and are concerned if their baby is not.  When I hold prenatal classes at our WIC office, or discuss the issue with moms who have delivered, I try to give general time frames and guidelines, signs of good feeds, etc., but not exact numbers.  There are so many variables, and some very efficient babies may be done in 10 minutes while others may take 30.  And some babies are full after one breast, may want a little more on the other side, or may want to nurse both sides for 15 minutes each.  So many moms are confused, and concerned why their baby isn't doing the "normal" thing.  Letting moms know that their baby will lead the way to their personal "normal" way, and for moms to watch for signs of good feeds, weight gain, diaper output and hunger cues lets mom learn their own baby's feeding behavior.  This helps give them confidence that things really are going well even if the baby isn't nursing both sides for exactly 15-20 minutes as they had been led to believe as the way all babies feed.  No two babies do things exactly the same, the same time, every day.   Even the same baby will feed differently throughout the day, and moms need to feel comfortable that feedings are going well even if they don't follow the same schedule every time.  Watching their baby and paying attention to their cues and behavior are the things moms should focus on - not the clock or schedules or time frames.  

I also would like to add on the topic of RN/IBCLC - I have seen many cases (but certainly not all the time) where the medical side of having a RN background can be a problem with being an LC - breastfeeding becomes too medical at times, and there are situations where it is appropriate, but many times it is not.  As I discussed in the previous paragraph, breastfeeding is not a measurable, exact science, but in hospital environments RN's are forced to make it very chartable, scheduled and measurable......time isn't available to spend 1 hour working with a breastfeeding mom, so sometimes it is more convenient to intervene with gadgets and rules when all mom really needs is to learn confidence and techniques for little stumbling blocks that may present themselves.  I had a mom come in to the clinic yesterday, and spent 1 1/2 hours with her listening and helping her baby latch (big nipple - little mouth and a recessed chin).  She had been told in the hospital that the baby just wouldn't latch, and has been pumping and supplementing.  Mom really doesn't want to supplement, and wants baby at breast, but didn't think it would be possible.  Baby has a GREAT nursing instinct and rooting reflex, and after a few techniques, the latch improved.  Mom felt encouraged to know things can improve as baby gets bigger, and that her baby does like to be at the breast.  (Side note - this mom used to think breastfeeding was "gross" before she was pregnant).   

Respectfully,
Jessica Elston, CLS
WIC BFPC
Indiana

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2