Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 20:23:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (81 lines)
Good point, Jane, about the relationship between lip ties and dental caries. 
I wonder about if/when a pediatric dentist or other provider would revise a tie that is not inhibiting feeding --do they wait until caries occur, or do they clip ties preventatively?
 My experience is in observing Dr O'Hara in Seattle, who mentioned that many lip ties (that are not causing problems with breast-feeding) will "revise" themselves in the course of typical childhood injuries. She did not (that I know of) perform any 'preventative' lip tie revisions. 
Melinda Harris Moulton FNP, IBCLC 
Olympia, WA

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 6, 2014, at 8:03 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> 
> When it comes to lip and tongue ties, we need to have input from dentists who are into preventative care.  I have seen babies who successfully nursed despite lip and tongue-ties turn into babies with "bottle-mouth caries"!  I am wondering in cases where dentists are blaming nighttime breastfeeding for caries, if what is really the problem is lip ties.  This causes excessive pressure on soft tooth enamel of erupting teeth, especially the top ones - and voila! - cavities in the top teeth!
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melinda
> Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:51 PM
> Subject: Re: Lip Ties
> 
> I am eager to get others opinions. I am on the tongue tie support site on Facebook, and have noted lots of talk about both tongue and lip ties--but I guess that's what one would expect on a site devoted to this issue. 
> I believe the interest in 'ties' over the past decade is that many women with very sore nipples, who would've just switched to bottle feeding in previous years, are now seeking out the causes for such pain and ways to correct it. 
> I am an advocate of revising lip and tongue ties, but only when they prevent a successful breastfeeding relationship. IBCLC's need to be able to perform an oral exam/ assessment in addition to a feeding evaluation to determine the effect a tie is having. 
> Melinda Harris -Moulton FNP IBCLC
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Sent from my iPad
> 
>> On Jan 4, 2014, at 6:57 PM, Kathleen Huggins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hello to everyone from warm, sunny Central California!  Being from Buffalo, I feel your pain if you are suffering with the extreme cold!  I have recently started responding to nursing mothers on a popular breastfeeding website.  I have been quite surprised at the number of mothers responding to mothers experiencing breastfeeding issues and their advice.  Everyday, nursing mothers post to those having problems to check for "lip ties" and to ask physicians to get them clipped so that their particular problem will be solved.  I see this with any moms experiencing  latch issues, painful nursing, fussing at the breast, making sounds while nursing, etc, etc.  It reminds me of the 1980's when we all thought anyone with sore nipples must have yeast!
>> 
>> So, what am I missing here? Where is this coming from?  I have missed ONE ILCA conference in  25+ years.  Was that the conference that was all about lip ties? 
>> 
>> Anxiously awaiting to hear where this is coming from!
>> 
>> Thanks to all!
>> 
>> Kathleen
>>            ***********************************************
>> 
>> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
>> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
>> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
>> COMMANDS:
>> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an 
>> email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To 
>> unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of 
>> rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2