Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:56:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Permission to post:

I just fielded a phone call from a mom of a 3.5 mos old baby who has been exclusively breastfed up until 3 mos.  At 2 mos ped visit baby had slipped below his percentile rank and by the end of month 2 has only gained around 13 ounces. Ped recommended supplementing with formula after breastfeeding.  Mother continues to breastfeed 8-12 times - basically on demand. Mother isn't sure exactly how many times but feels like it is a lot!  She describes the family as not particularly tall but thin and agreed about my describing them as ectomorphic body types.

Baby's weight definitely slowed at month 2 and then with supplementation has picked up

(Birth weight 7.6, month 1: 8.13, month 2: 9.3, month2 week 2: 9.9, month 3 week 2 - 10.13)

Meanwhile from month 2 to month 3 baby has grown 3 inches since birth and has good head circumferance.  Baby has hit or exceeded all developmental milestones.

Her question?  Does she need to continue supplementing.

My answer: Yes, because her doctor has told her to and I, as an IBCLC, can not tell her to ignore her doctor's advice.  However, in my experience what she is describing is normal for her baby and that all children "acordion" (put on weight right before a growth spurt) and that her baby may be showing that behavior earlier than others.  I also said that in her case her milk went into bone growth and neural development as evidenced by his length and head circumference.  He may or may not "chunk up" later.  

My question to you--have you seen other string bean babies? And do you have any resources I can give her that she can use to help educate her pediatrician?  Or at least give her a little confidence (that the ped has knocked) that she's still doing the right thing.

Thank you!

Lea Rivera Todaro, IBCLC
Brooklyn - Queens

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2