Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:19:41 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Jan,

Thanks for the encouraging words regarding the short piece in Lifelines.  I too was happy to see it in print.  It represents good PR for Lactnet and the UND students.

As for evaluation of the "personality of the list", I can say with confidence that student involvement on this list represents an opportunity for them to witness first-hand professionals engaged in caring for families in the manner they deserve.  Practice is based on evidence/research and grounded in the belief that families need to be informed and supported in their infant feeding decisions.  The interactions between Lactnetters is of the most considerate, professional nature, even when different conclusions are drawn.  The discussion and ideas presented are informed and scholarly and reflect the high caliber of the individual's knowledge and experience.  The fact that this list is interdisciplinary adds
a new dimension to the student's learning curve and problem solving.

As part of their assignment, the students have many options in the choice of their list.  Those who choose Lactnet do so based on their interest in lactation and despite the background information I give them regarding the volume of messages (heavier than most) and the high level of professionalism (expected of them as well) on this list.  Your influence only serves to strengthen their knowledge base, confidence and interest in lactation.  You are really making a difference among these students who, in turn, will have untold influence on the patients, health care professionals and families they will interact with in their careers.

I would like to take this opportunity to extend a huge thanks to all of you who have been so supportive of the students who are involved in Lactnet.  The feedback they receive and the professionalism they witness contribute so much to their learning experience.  It is very difficult to model the behavior, caring and knowledge it takes to care for breastfeeding familiies in the classroom (and on the inpatient units sometimes).  This opportunity is invaluable for students.

Many thanks for your continued support on behalf of myself and of my students, past, present and future.

Cindy
Cindy Anderson, MS, CNS, IBCLC
Clinical Assistant Professor
College of Nursing
University of North Dakota

ATOM RSS1 RSS2