Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 03:16:19 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The thing about vitamin D and breastmilk is that unless a mother's level of 25(OH)D is greater than 60 ng/mL (I can't cite the source for this right now but I know I read it), she does not have adequate D for herself AND her milk. That's why the AAP has jumped in to make sure babies get supplemented ... but Jan Barger is right - we're a society of deficiency right now. 

My own numbers: after years of lots of low-grade symptoms (not just bone health, as we're learning), I finally got a doctor to order the lab test. I was deficient, at 17 ng/mL. 6 weeks later (on 50,000 IU/week + 400 IU/day), my level reached 42. 6 more weeks later (on same supplemental regimen), I'm up to 44. I've been breastfeeding continuously for 7-1/2 years. I do not consume dairy products or fatty fish. I wilt in the heat and therefore avoid being outside in the summer. I live in New York. I'm caucasian, but with darker pigmented skin than average. 

At the time of her breast cancer diagnosis nearly 8 years ago, my mother's vitamin D level was 7 ng/mL. The current RDI for vitamin D is not adequate. Research is proving that much higher doses are well-tolerated and necessary. Hopefully, the work of those researchers is being heard and our government and medical community will begin pushing vitamin D, especially for women of childbearing age. 

--Diana in NY, IBCLC

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2