Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:13:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I agree that we have to be careful how we say this lest some people only remember the "not best" part and forget or ignore the fact that we are trying to say breast is the norm and other methods must be compared with the norm, which makes the "alternatives" worse (or some similar word).  I have found it makes a good discussion starter to ask a few "true/false" questions like, "Breastfeeding reduces ear infections", "Breastfeeding reduces mom's chance of developing brest cancer" or "Breastfeeding makes babies smarter".  Most participants will say they are all "True".  I then really get their attention by saying that actually they are all "false".  The audience knows by this time that I am a strong (fantical?) bf supporter, so it really gets their attention.  I then go on to explain that giving "advantages" aikes breastfeeding seem like a nice little extra if you want to do it-sort of like extra credit assignments in school.  
Perhaps the world isn't ready yet for this message to be in articles, especially in the title, since so many only scan journals etc. without reading all the articles in full.  I wonder how many misinterpretations we make based on only reading a title orat most the abstrect.  Presenting it in a forum where it can be folowed by an explanation and/or discussion will assure that the participants go away with the message we are trying to send.
Winnie Mading IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2