Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:52:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
First I apologize for the markings at the ends of my posts; it seems my server does not offer another way to set up text; I've tried. Anyone on hotmail who can help me would be welcomed.
Now to the case: Heather states that baby has gained 5 oz (from 7#9.5 to 7#14.5), however I note that baby has actually gone down in 3 days from 8#0 to 7#14.5. I concede that scales may be different, weighing technique and staff may be different; and I think I may be approaching this case from "my glass is half empty" and Heather may be "my glass is half full." Still, with the picture I am seeing in my mind, I would definitely not be ready to discharge this dyad from my care or the care of her primary provider. I am feeling that mother's supply may not be adequate yet, and perhaps baby is not feeding effectively either yet; and probably both. A good question would be to ask what occured between that lowest weight and the 8 lb weight, in terms of feeding frequency, supplementation or not with ebm or other, accuracy of weights (naked or not -- very important), etc. 

> baby...started out 8 lbs. 13 oz.  She was 7 lbs. 13 oz. on>day four ...fluctuated...as low as 7 lbs. 9.5 oz up to 8 lbs. ...when..about 14 days old.  
Currently 2 3/7 weeks ...7 lbs.14.5 oz.  ...she was hopeful that the first child's pattern would not repeat.> full, leaking breasts at one week, but that is not so now. ....but swallowing>is not always audible even after the latch is improved.  >>Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN Mississippi, s.e. USA 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2