Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:48:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
 Sue wrote:

"This sounds just like my grandson's experience. Once prunes were started, he did great. I think he was 7 months as well. I don't think it's something that she'd need to feed to the baby everyday. If the Dr suggested Milk of Mag every 3rd day, why not try pureed prunes every 3rd day? We all know babies don't need to stool every day. I don't see how one would cause a dependency and the other wouldn't. Am I missing something here? Once things were turned around for my grandson he sort of outgrew the difficulty. But every so often if he's having an off day, the prunes make him happy again -if you know what I mean. Sue Manore, LLLL, IBCLC"

Actually, we do not all "know" that babies do not need to stool every day. Most LCs and others may believe it to be true, but there are those of us who "know" that it may well be common, but it is not normal.? Having been raised around many animals, from dogs and cats to horses and goats, I always knew that when an animal did not eat or did not have normal stooling patterns, he was not well. My father raised thoroughbreds and he was fanatical about their diets and their digestive health. There was no range of normal among healthy animals. (Of course, many domesticated animals today are no longer eating healthy diets and manifest the same diseases that their humans do). We worry about children not eating, but we don't seem to know we should also worry about children not stooling. As biological beings, I do not believe we have a range of normal either. One bowel movement per meal per human is normal. So, IMO, babies who eat 8-10 X per day should poop 6-8 X per day--adults 2-3X per day. So, a 7 month old who eats, say 6X per day, is missing 8-17 bms if she has a bm every third day. I personally think that is a big deal.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2