Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:44:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Subject: stooling frequencyDate: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:59:47 -0400 I routinely tell moms that everyone's pooping pattern is different! I have three children, and they couldn't be more different. Out of the 5 of us in my family-only one goes more than three times a day... One of my moms was so worried b/c she thought baby had to poop so often she was using suppositories for her 2 week old when she stopped pooping daily.(most of the time if baby isn't pooping one day, the next day or so they will more than make up for it) I am just glad I called the mom that was doing that so I could try to educate her. We really need to be careful when we tell moms this stuff. They take our word for it as gospel.It's not constipation until it is firm, pebble like, and they strain to poop. Cereal does tend to dehydrate the stool, much like formula does. When we add anything other than breastmilk to the diet, we will be effecting the stool.  Hmmm, this is a toughie-and a touchy subject. At DSHS (WIC) we have poop sheets of the breastfed baby that we hand out. (IF you go to the website www.dshs.state.tx.us you can order free flyers, pamphlets, Instructional guides, etc.) We have sheets on Constipation/Diahrea, Colic/Crying, nutritions,etc. so our moms will be informed and they don't go off the deep end and give suppositories/enemas when not necessary. ( we have classes available to take online also) there is a wealth of free info to help everyone--WIC is about education and empowering. That is a huge part of our "job" education. I hope I haven't offended anyone by responding to this. Have a blessed day,Merideth M. Buell, BFPC DSHS WIC  [log in to unmask] ____________________________________   

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2