Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:13:23 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Jo-Anne,
    As regards your post on Lactnet today:  I was doing research on this in the 1970s, questioning relactating Mums on the visual appearance of the first fluid produced.  Unfortunately, a family member threw out my bag containing all the records in the early-1980s, before I could compile and publish the information.  If my memory is correct after this time, where there is a lactation gap (not just a few weeks), or the woman has never lactated, colostrum-like fluid seems to be come first.  Where there there isn't a gap, I suspect the milk will relate to the postpartum "age" of the milk.  Nothing in lactational physiology is set in stone, but I would use this as a rule of thumb until we prove otherwise.  The 'colostrum-like' fluid the mothers described was yellowish/orange or clear.  Unfortunately, the material was lost before I could do an analysis of the mother-report data, as I was waiting for more numbers.  When my youngest at age 48 months brought in milk after I'd had a 4-month lactational gap, it looked like milk, not colostrum.  How long a gap would be needed? - I really don't know, and individual variations would apply.
    You can reassure the Mum that breastmilk (even without colostrum) is a wonderful food that is far and away superior to any substitute.  Some cultures in S-E Asia and Africa never give colostrum, anyway.  Indeed, in England up till the 1820s, colostrum was withheld and babies were given butter mixed with alcohol till the "real" milk appeared. [Smith FE. The people's health. London: Croom Helm, 1979.]  This English custom changed.
   [Lesson learnt:  Place copies of research material in several places!]
   I hope this helps.
              Virginia
               in sunny Brisbane

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2