Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 20:48:18 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I got this email from a mom yesterday and thought that the experienced members of this list might have some ideas for her.  
Here's the thing.  My little nursling is 20 mo now.  I've been battling breast yeast and an abscess for the last four weeks.  After two doses of Diflucan and one heafty anit-biotic I thought we had it licked.  Unfortunately, I can feel the yeast infection returning.  The last variable to this little problem is that I've just learned (last weekend) that we are expecting again.  (YEAH! I wasn't at liberty to speak freely about this earlier...for now, we still have this little secret under cap.)  However, this complicates any further efforts to treat this nasty cycle I've got going on.

I spoke with the midwife this morning and I intend to heed her advice and forego additional Diflucan treatments.  She did suggested gentian violet.   However, I read a piece about safety and mouth cancer in babes (Austrailia) plus it is not available to me until Tuesday.  Her best advice unfortunately, was that she thought it best to discontinue nursing (no milk, no yeast...problem solved).  All except one major thing... the sudden emotional distress I'll be placing on my wee one.

He'll be two in September (2 yrs of age has been my goal in bfing all of my babes) so I guess "I'm OK" with having to stop.  I told my husband, this is tough...the new baby isn't even here yet and already I'm having to choose one over the other (guilt, guilt, guilt).  On the other hand I don't want, in any way, to chance the well being of our new little one.  

So, all this said, I'm looking for some advice...

1) What is the latest findings in here the US ...is the gentian violet still considered safe to use?  If so, are you aware of a local pharmacy that doesn't have to special order?  I've struck out all over the Greenville area.

2) If I do choose to suddenly discontinue bfing, how best do I handle this with my toddler?  I'm guessing we'll be engaging in many distraction aimed activites during the day, however...I expect nightfall will bring nothing short of a broken hearted little boy.

3) Is it possible to only nurse from one side?  If I only feed him from my good side, will my bad side still continue to produce small quantities of milk?  Just wondering if I could hastily, yet gradually, wean him rather than going cold turkey.

4) Have you any online weaning resources that for "sudden weaning" I can look at - I see many, many which address the topic in a gradual sense.  

I'm feeling quite over whelmed at the moment and would love your input...many thanks!

I am looking forward to your suggestions.
Warmly,
Laurie Joanow in hot Western PA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2