Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:36:45 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello all,
Had to chime in here, reading Liane's post.
No one, not even a surgeon can know for sure just how much any degree of tongue tie can affect the baby's ability to transfer milk and of course breastfeed without causing trauma to the moms nipples. We have had cases where we were not 100 percent sure about the tongue tie - but we did everything possible, and sometimes even when not totally clear - it is a recognition that the tongue's mobility is just not what it should be. And sure enough, we have been 99 percent correct in our "feelings". There are clear cut cases where one would think that it is a miracle that the baby is able to nurse, but they do in spite of tt, and there are the cases where a "slight" tongue tie is evident but one would think logically that it "should" not impede breastfeeding. Well, nope. I had a very seasoned breastfeeding mom, 2nd baby and it was just not right. She had nursed over two years. Had just finished nursing a few months prior to baby number 2. So we all knew she knew how and what to do. After spending hours trying to use every trick in the bag, I sent her to one of our best practitioners to check and he actually said, that it was very slight and he did not think it was worth snipping and sent her home. I had spent a lot of time with her, and I knew I could do no more for her, and I actually said to her, that there is no other logical reason that her baby was having such a hard time (also with bottles he was struggling). I sent her back and suggested that she ask him to clip. Without eliminating this as a possible stumbling block, I really had no other way of helping them. So , he clipped and the mom said that the practitioner was in shock at the immediate mobility and flexibility of the baby's tongue after what seemed so minor. So, as we all know, life is a learning experience and this sure taught me again, to rely on instincts and never assume anything. Because we are all made up of different stuff, anatomy - flexibility - any degree of tt at all, will affect different babies in different ways. 

Ellen shein,IBCLC LLLI
Tel Aviv

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5692 (20101210) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2